miércoles, 2 de octubre de 2013

Un fin de Semana en Monteverde

Hola!

This past weekend all of my classmates and I traveled to a place called Monteverde in the cloud forrest of Costa Rica. The drive was about 4 hours but a good time. The last road we took was rocky and pretty twisty/turn-ey, however the trek was most certainly worth it. We stayed in absolutely beautiful Cabinas with a spectacular view of the forest and a glimpse of the Pacific Ocean when the clouds lifted. It wasn't cold, but it was cooler than it has been here in San Jose, which was a nice break from the hot and sticky beaches. Out cabins had a shared kitchen where we cooked all of our meals.

On Our first day in Monteverde, we rode horses with a local farmer for about 2 1/2 hours through the cloud forest. It was enchanting! Although I haven't been on a horse since I was 8 years old, I really enjoyed myself. We ran our horses through roads and rivers and think forest. Midway we stopped at the owners farm where we were served hot coffee and cheese empanadas. Mmmm. We rode the rest of the way as the sun was setting and it was quite the picturesque evening. That night we drank, played guitar, sang, and appreciated the beauty that surrounded us. I am so thankful for the people I am here with and how excited about life they are. It makes me so incredibly happy that they share my passion for adventure, nature, and exploring the world. Every one of us is equally grateful for this opportunity which makes for a super positive group dynamic, and I couldn't ask for anything better. That night we followed two of our classmate (in the dark mind you) through the rainforest where they had found a tarzan vine we could swing on. Now this was a pretty legit tarzan vine and the swing was quite the thrill. I wasn't sure I could do it but ended up going multiple times. I'm pretty sure that there are very few people who could say their saturday night was cooler than mine.

The following day we went on a canopy/zip-line tour through the cloud forest. Sporting helmets, harnesses, and chunky gloves we ziped through the tree tops and saw monkeys, birds, and other animals alone the way. At one point we repelled down a tree about 40 feet and then swang on another tarzan vine (although this was bigger than the one we found it was a tad more secure seeing as we were strapped in). The canopy tour was thrilling and relaxing at the same time. After this the chicos all decided to go bungee jumping and us girls got to watch. The boys tried to convince me to join but my fears got the best of me. However I later learned that I don't meet the minimum weight requirement (115 lbs), so even if I wan't to jump they wouldn't have let me. Watching the boys jump was sufficiently thrilling, and I had no regrets at the end of the day. We ended the day by making tacos and piña coladas, playing music, and dancing under the stars.

Our last day in Monteverde we visited a Quaker farm and a Quaker school. The Quakers were the first to move to Monteverde, and they cleared a lot of the land that is now different shops and houses. The Quakers immigrated to Costa Rica because they do not believe in war, and didn't want to be forced into the army during World War 2. They live a simple life, taking care of a farm, making cheese, and running a school. The school is open to students of all religions, but run with Quaker ideals. I really appreciate the ideals the Quakers have, for they believe in peace, equality, fairness, etc. However, they are not about pushing their religion on other people, because they want people to come to the decision to practice Quakerism on their own. The school was magnificent. A majestic wooden building, charming classrooms, surrounded by the beautiful forest and mountains. I really wouldn't have minded staying there for a few days. Or forever.

One of my favorite aspects of this experience is getting to see how many other options the world has; as opposed to the traditional american standards. Who says I need a lot of money to succeed and be happy? Who says you need to go to a traditional high school? My eyes are being opened and I am learning that I don't have to live any certain way. I have options. I could go live in the cloud forest and teach english if I wanted. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I am so grateful that we got to go.

This weekend we are traveling to Bocas del Toro, Panama. Can't wait for the adventures ahead!

Nos Vemos!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario